FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Kimi was screaming to pit after 15 laps on the SS.

Hamilton pitted earlier (since a SC SHOULD have appeared) taking a calculated gamble with Merc (a SC should waste about 2-3 laps at least) and had to run on SS for 19 laps.

No matter what, it was going to be a tall order. He needed to catch up to Bottas. The strategy was spoilt the moment the SC car failed to appear. Fullstop.
That's a fair point. I just think the rate he caught Alonso and Bottas could have been tempered. When you're catching cars 12 seconds up the road at 3 seconds a lap with ten to go and you know you're going to have tire issues... He could have given himself more of a chance.
Watching a re-run of the race again and it's mind-boggling that they had marshals crossing the track to push Sutil's car out of the way. F1 has long needed permanent stewards to take away this homer element in stewarding decisions. It happened a year or two ago in Valencia I think when they deployed the SC after an on track incident yet declined to do so later in the race when Alonso was leading. Bernie had to safeguard his race fees somehow as the Spaniards could no longer justify the financial outlay.
Permanent stewards is something that's been an issue since forever, atleast since i can remember. Starting from something quite minor like track limits, upwards. Consistency and diligence have never been the FIA's strongpoint, and every year it always is a bone of contention over a major issue. It's mass dampers, it's flexiwings, it's blown diffusers, it's FRIC, it's tires. Once they cottoned on they can artificially create a more dynamic competition mid season or after considerable development, they've gone gangbusters. A multi billion dollar enterprise doesn't make mistakes like this, it encourages them. Permanent stewards would put a stop to half the drama, the outrage which fuels the passion that keeps people coming back.

Strangely though I don't think they step in for particular incidents like the Sutil one. Not because I don't believe it couldn't happen but if you start giving it credence you can create lots of invisible demons, and really i'd rather concentrate about what happens on track as opposed to what doesn't happen.
...Consistency and diligence have never been the FIA's strongpoint...

:clap: That is the understatement of the year... or years, eh?? :clap:

And you can either accept it and be slightly disappointed in the sport, or rally against it and get an ulcer. Neither option is preferable.

Like the FRIC saga and double points, it's a game they play of checks and balances. How far is too far? It's the pinnacle of motorsport and humans adapt to their environmant, so they can push as far as they want probably.
:rofl: thats good. It would have been a crime for Seb to have matched MS had the aero era continued another 3, and Newey didnt resign, and RBr didnt sign Ricc :hehe:

that picture rather sums up the hapless Kimis season so far, b!tch slapped silly by his teammate and other top drivers
Watched that a few times, he literally bounced from Alonso to Vettel a few times. Seven championships and yet one of the more reckless overtakes of the race wouldn't you guys say? :hehe:

God forbid.
Watched that a few times, he literally bounced from Alonso to Vettel a few times. Seven championships and yet one of the more reckless overtakes of the race wouldn't you guys say? :hehe:

Kimi was in the wars at that corner more than once. His car did very well, considering :hehe:
Yes you do lump me in a group, you call me a ' Hamilton fanboy'.

:rofl: I am completely unwilling to see wrong where it isn't, when it is I day so. A racing incident is not Wrong I watched the race on tele last night to see the bits I'd missed at the live race. There were loads of little racing incidents between drivers, yet, Lewis was ragged???.

I've not told you where you stand in the fan stakes. I know you appreciate Hamilton, that doesn't mean I can't call you out when I think you're wrong.

I've also had parents you describe in my class. I have to work extra hard with those parents to explain what their children need, be it better inter personal skills, an ability to think for themselves, to be creative, to actually use their knowledge and skills rather than rote learn. I generally have them on side by the end of the year. Still don't see the relevance.

It wasn't one incident it was a few overtakes and his handling of his last two sets of tires. We applaud him for keeping his softs going for so long and ignore he ripped up his supers in an unnecessary dash to the finish. If you've got a tire that's degrading faster than normal because your wing's broken, chasing two slower cars on different strategies, with Bottas on a two stop, why rush up to them, lose the life, then spend half a dozen frustrating laps behind a car with great traction? Extra life in the tires might have see him pass. They switched to a three stop to avoid this situation. I don't know if it's poor pit advice or Hamilton being too eager but between them they didn't do the right thing once that strategy had been decided on. He was never going to catch Rosberg so what was the point?

You don't see the relevance that people can be biased when they feel strongly about something, and lack a certain impartiality? That's basic human nature, not some left-field revelation. That some passionate fans might be that way is not relevant?

He didn't mishandle his last two sets of tyres. He came in earlier than planned because Merc quite rightly expected a safety car. Had the safety car come he would have had track position and new tyres to take Bottas and try Rosberg. Had the car not spun, he would have likely had Bottas . As it was he ended up with the worst case scenario, new tyres too early. He had to fight early on them while they were fresh, that was his only chance, they would be finished by the end( the left front was also graing fast because if the wing damage) had he got past he may have been able to defend on them but wouldn't have been able to attack. So he did absolutely the right thing, sadly it wasn't enough.

Yes I do understand that people can be biased about things.

On the over indulgent parent analogy, I presume you think 'Hamilton fanboys' are over indulgent when they defend Lewis form what they see as unfair criticism? Yet most, if not all 'Hamilton fanboys' on this forum have at some point criticised him, so your arguement doesn't stand up. You consider us over indulgent when we don't agree with your criticisms.
By implication do you consider ' Hamilton fanboys' to be potentially over indulgent and poor parents?

A final note, i applaud your tenacity when defending your point of view. You stand your ground when faced with differing opinions, I appreciate that. You're a good sparring partner. :wink:

See our F1 related articles too!