FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
This development race used to be a core value in F1 - not anymore it seems.

it wasnt for the best part of the last 10 years :confused:

and no one seems to want to go back to spending millions for am extra 0.0003 secs - AKA the law of diminishing returns, when the average Ferrari supporter wouldnt even know the difference between a minute or a millisecond if it wasnt red with passion bleeding through its exhaust

If there is a spending war, Merc will still whip the rest, and they will still lose, but a whole world more. Everyone knows this, and everyone knows losers always find excuses and reasons eagerly lapped up by passionate fans with a bit of butthurt

I've stated my opinion many times in the past (search the topics): I would like to have just one major restriction in F1 and that would be fuel available per race. And that would decrease annually. Let engineering prowess loose on this and we'll have some real innovation and savings.

An how would that change the situation we're in now? That's like a flat tax rate rule. It sounds nice on paper but it won't work in practice. How is a team going to change things mid season if they've got it wrong? They're goign to have to redesign their entire unit mid season with the limited testing? We'll be back to the haves and the have-nots in less that two years with zero competition once again, with the one team that gets it right sweeping the podium.
Or who thinks updates to engines will always be parts that dont cost a penny to replace and dont impact other parts of the engine, _ i mean if that was the case like Ferrari imply - then why the hell didnt they think of it in the first place

:rofl:

The epiphany must have come to them after they signed the dotted line for the 2014 agreement... once they got back to that magic calculator they use in Maranello.

and no one seems to want to go back to spending millions for am extra 0.0003 secs - AKA the law of diminishing returns, when the average Ferrari supporter wouldnt even know the difference between a minute or a millisecond if it wasnt red with passion bleeding through its exhaust

If there is a spending war, Merc will still whip the rest, and they will still lose, but a whole world more. Everyone knows this, and everyone knows losers always find excuses and reasons eagerly lapped up by passionate fans with a bit of butthurt

I've stated my opinion many times in the past (search the topics): I would like to have just one major restriction in F1 and that would be fuel available per race. And that would decrease annually. Let engineering prowess loose on this and we'll have some real innovation and savings.

An how would that change the situation we're in now? That's like a flat tax rate rule. It sounds nice on paper but it won't work in practice. How is a team going to change things mid season if they've got it wrong? They're goign to have to redesign their entire unit mid season with the limited testing? We'll be back to the haves and the have-nots in less that two years with zero competition once again, with the one team that gets it right sweeping the podium.

Uh, no. Other teams adopt new developments that turned out successful and build on that, then another team has a successful innovation and others pick it up and build from there, etc. A development race with benefits for all of us eventually.
And why would testing be limited anyway? I said ONE major restriction which would be fuel allowed per race.
Yeah I can really see Ferrari coming up with a great innovation mid season that delivers 1.3 seconds for a cost of 43 million, and they implement it and then rush out to deliver a whole new set of engines to their back grid customers for FREE

and if its not for free and marrusia cant aford it, how fair is that, I have a good idea - EVERYONE should get together and have a meeting to decide what works best, cost wise, poor customer wise, and 'the good of F1' wise

Whats that?? they had one already

So why are the b!tches spending money on a PR campaign to excite the likes of OB who has unfortunately been ripped a whole new one this season :hehe:

I used to think limiting petrol and letting the teams just get on with it would be a good idea. But I don't anymore. Because unless you do something to limit spending and testing the costs will just soar and it will only be the big teams affording it. Sure there will be some good ideas , like Mercedes came up with a good idea this time , but without restrictions, they will spend loads to get small advantages. Teams were asked to cost save and they didn't, so measures were imposed....with all the teams agreement.
I just added a bit...on my last post.
They can still develop, more than is being let on, but they have to get some of if right the first time and not just copy.

re. your edit: that's exactly it! The rules changed for this season and it was for the worse all in the name of cost savings, which is not really working anyway as the engine manufacturers and teams will simply have to spend the millions in a shorter time frame (between the seasons).
So how about reverting this rule change to what it was before? Nothing wrong with that, is there?

It was for the worse? I don't think it was for the worse. The worse was when the drivers had to go slow on fragile tyres, but that's another issue. The point is this decision was made in the interests of moving the sport forward and remaining relevant and it was made with the agreement of all parties. Why should the rules be reversed for the parties who came up short? But this should be in the engine thread really , not the Lewis and Nico one. Did you read the article WB posted from F1 technical( I think) ? Says it all much better than I can.

The engine rules should be scrapped because they didn't work.

When you think about it the only situation where an engine technology freeze could work is after a long period of engine rule stability with the designs already fully developed and little if any performance is left to be found anyway. In this situation of the introduction of a brand new and radical engine formula there was simply to much variation and a lack of testing in these early designs to find any common ground for a freeze point. One team came up with an A+ design the rest had no way to catch up.

Scrap these rules and let the engine designers/engineers do their jobs, what a waste of talent in keeping them sidelined!
They aren't sidelined. They're working on the next phase. Well the Merc ones are, don't know about the others. Maybe that's the problem. Two years ago when the Merc designers and engineers were running a separate programme for the 2014 car and engine, Renault and Ferrari engineers and designers must have been standing on the sidelines.
The rules of the game have never really changed. F1 has always been won by at least a good car and good driver, most of the times a great car and good driver (Re: 2009-2013) and this year we have a great car and great driver (despite a few DNFs). The gap is huge but that's thanks largely to the development rate of Mercedes and both drivers delivering the goods through the year.

At least, this year we had an actual racing team which allows for competition between both drivers. We were denied this the past 4 years. Fact is anyone complaining about this year not being exciting is just another butthurt fan of some team/driver which has been made to look mediocre along with the rest of everyone else. Some just find it harder to accept than others.

I think the engine rules worked perfectly! Cars are nearly as fast around the track and faster in a straight line. They take a real driver's driver to be able to make them go fast and they're using 30% less fuel to give us a show. An overwhelming success if you ask me. :cloud9:
Yes have to agree with that. Its been a huge success.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2
Please let's get back on topic with this thread. The engine regulations can be discussed elsewhere.

I think the engine rules worked perfectly! Cars are nearly as fast around the track and faster in a straight line. They take a real driver's driver to be able to make them go fast and they're using 30% less fuel to give us a show. An overwhelming success if you ask me. :cloud9:

Not really! It is child's play in 2014.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/08/n ... -to-drive/
http://www.hungaroring.hu/?id=20&sub_id ... 55&lang=en
http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/10/01/ ... -to-drive/
Interestingly the first link is based on RBRs Neweys complaints that things are too easy in 2014
The second link is based on RBRs Danny Riccs complaints that things are too easy in 2014
and the thrid link is based on RBR PR consuultant Davis Coulthards complaint that things are too easy in 2014

yeah I would say you definetely demonstrated a general consensus their amongst the 2014 losers who didnt mention how easy it was to drive the cars in the last 4 years when Seb found it easy to tame cars with lots of torque and less downforce :thumbup:

keep em coming OB :bs:

See our F1 related articles too!