FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Lewis has won 7/11 (63%) races he completed, 2 of the 4 he didn't win he started from the back, and of his wins didn't gain any from teammate failure

Nico has won 4/12 (33%) races he completed, inheriting 3 from teammate failing from first

Can these stats be correct ? I haven't really sat down to check, more like from memory. This is a slaughtering if true

Not sure I agree about Hamilton having an unchallenged run in Singapore - he was on pole by 0.007. Yes he locked up but Rosberg made an error too so that one is even plus I don't count errors like lock ups when comparing performance as those were driver errors on both sides. As far as Silverstone goes that depends on whether Hamilton was going to stop again or not. If he wouldnt have it was a slam dunk for him, if he was going to pit then Rosberg was net in the lead of the race at the time.

Hamilton was entirely quicker on the primes than Rosberg in every practice session through the weekend. I hate playing would have/ could have games though as we still don't know how Rosberg would do coming through the pack from the rear. Was hoping to see Rosberg show us on Sunday.
Let's play a game of who said it! It has to be Lewis right?

"It was the toughest day of the year for me and right now I only can say that I am in agony and desperately trying to come up with a logical explanation for all that," he told the official Formula 1 website.

He added: "I fumed in the cockpit, so I am already on the way to recovery now. I left most of the anger in the helmet!"
Let's play a game of who said it! It has to be Lewis right?

"It was the toughest day of the year for me and right now I only can say that I am in agony and desperately trying to come up with a logical explanation for all that," he told the official Formula 1 website.

He added: "I fumed in the cockpit, so I am already on the way to recovery now. I left most of the anger in the helmet!"

Taking a guess at Guitierez?
By LH44
It worries me that Toto Wolf thinks the failing loom on Rosberg's car wasn't at the end of it's design life. I would almost replace every other race any part that has the ability to completely suffocate the car like that as long as it's within the rules. Seems to be Mercedes are quite reactive in their approach to reliability on the relatively minor components. It explains the nature of the retirements they've suffered so far.
These guys aren't out there to take short cuts. It was a loom which could have been damaged by Nico getting in the car perhaps right at the moment. It was fine before the car left the pits so there's no way to catch that. Just like there was no way to catch a faulty design in the spark plug insulating rubber that failed in Australia.

You look at the issues and fix them, you can't plan for every eventuality. The racing adage goes, It's easier to make a fast car reliable than it is to make a reliable car fast.
By LH44
The mere mention of design life about the failing loom should ring alarm bells for any half decent engineer out there. Components are designed to last a certain life span - you factor in maintenance, measure wear and tear from routine inspection and use the information to predict the likelihood of failure. The human interface and interpretation of information are very much part of the process. The point is that Mercedes seems to be having a lot of issues with these ancillary parts than any of the teams and it could be down to an overestimated reliability index. Poor quality control during the manufacturing process is a totally different matter.
Isn't looming outsourced?

I have been a systems engineer most of my life and i am with WB on this. If a parts life is say 5 races I personally work to a safety factor of 4. So i would check it to 20 races (I do not work in an F1 enviroment so they might use a lower safety factor because they are concerned about weight etc) however they will use a safety factor and sometimes things break/degrade for reasons outside your control. Look at why the De Havilland Comets crashed, no one could of for cast that.

Sent using NCC-1701
Lewis has won 7/11 (63%) races he completed, 2 of the 4 he didn't win he started from the back, and of his wins didn't gain any from teammate failure

Nico has won 4/12 (33%) races he completed, inheriting 3 from teammate failing from first

Can these stats be correct ? I haven't really sat down to check, more like from memory. This is a slaughtering if true

Not sure I agree about Hamilton having an unchallenged run in Singapore - he was on pole by 0.007. Yes he locked up but Rosberg made an error too so that one is even plus I don't count errors like lock ups when comparing performance as those were driver errors on both sides. As far as Silverstone goes that depends on whether Hamilton was going to stop again or not. If he wouldnt have it was a slam dunk for him, if he was going to pit then Rosberg was net in the lead of the race at the time.

This is irrelevant to the context of those stats. There is a factual pattern that tells us that when Lewis started on the front row this season he was 77% likely to win (7/9) vs 33% for .Rosberg When you factor in the starting performance (issue free) and the stats on overtaking on this circuit, erm hold on...I was forgetting a simple matter of Lewis starting on pole -dont matter if it was 0.007 or 0.00007 in quali the last time i looked pole guarantees you a physically shorter race distance - then we would have to assume that bar a dnf or Rosbergtaking him off from behind - then Lewis was 3 times more likely to win
Your Singapore objection is irrational straw grasping in the face of almost conclusive stats - the likelyhood of Lewis winning is well within this context however the event of Nico winning had he started would be beyond any reasonable standard deviation that sticks out

As far as Silverstone, again we could lean on the actual stats to assume Lewis would have won anyway (63% starting from anywhere on the grid vs Rosberg 33%) - but lets say Silverstone was a while ago before we had these stats - then depending on when Nicos unrelaibility began to cost him performance - we could say, yes lewis inherited the win from teammate failure - but this flys in the face of the stats as well as the pace of both drivers before the problen
Last edited by racechick on 23 Sep 14, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Please use correct driver names
Guys guys, Lewis just shared this on his facebook page:

If you haven't already, you need to see this movie. My all time favourite movie & this is one of the funniest parts. #indeface #comingtoamerica #eddiemurphyhttp://instagram.com/p/tR8rCor09c/

You think he's trying to say something after Singapore? :hehe:
Is it just me (could be) or is Nico's retirement being made a faaaar bigger deal than when Lewis has his. The fuss over this seems at a much higher level to me. For example, Toto came out in the last 24 hours to say:

"It would not be satisfying at all to have the championship decided because one car let the driver down,” Wolff told the Mercedes team's website. “We need to refocus, get our heads down and keep concentrating on preventing these reliability problems reoccurring.

"It's something we need to get on top of - we have a missile of a car but, in terms of reliability, we are having issues. We have a great group of people in our reliability team who are dedicated to quality. We're very proud of the structures they are putting into place - and that's what makes it even more astonishing that we keep having these issues.

"These things take time to get a grip on - but we will not stop until we stop suffering these DNFs. If we could do anything more to prevent further retirements we would be doing it - I would break my arm again to make it happen!"

Wolff, who recently broke his arm in a cycling accident, praised Rosberg's attitude in the wake of his retirement at Marina Bay, with the German remaining philosophical despite the 'agony' of his exit.

"I said sorry to Nico for having let him down,” added Wolff. “As a driver it's a bitter blow having lost so many valuable points, so it doesn't really help them what you say in that moment - but as a team you need to apologise when you have messed up.
" I honestly don't recall them gushing like this when Lewis broke down those three times or had brake failure or yada, yada, yada. Maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe the context of Toto's message is from the point of view that this is becoming an embarrassment on the brand because that is now 5 times that a Mercedes is broken down by the side of the road/in the garage. Anyway, I feel like I'm reading more about Nico's bad blow in Singapore from all sources than ever before. Just interesting...
Ya it's probably brand related but I'm sure lewis received the same type of sympathy from toto behind closed doors as championships decided on retirements aren't really what we want to see and isn't good for the brand
Ya it's probably brand related but I'm sure lewis received the same type of sympathy from toto behind closed doors as championships decided on retirements aren't really what we want to see and isn't good for the brand

You likely hit the nail on the head...Toto gave his commiserations to Lewis behind closed doors.
Regarding the double points, it is insane that hypothetically Lewis can win the next four races, winning 11 GPs in the year yet DNF in Abu Dhabi, with Nico coming in 2nd in all of the remaining events... Nico Rosberg would win the WDC having won only 5 GPs.

Unless there is an additional DNF for Nico, he will have the statistical advantage for the remainder of the contest.
Regarding the double points, it is insane that hypothetically Lewis can win the next four races, winning 11 GPs in the year yet DNF in Abu Dhabi, with Nico coming in 2nd in all of the remaining events... Nico Rosberg would win the WDC having won only 5 GPs.

Unless there is an additional DNF for Nico, he will have the statistical advantage for the remainder of the contest.

WB, that's the most absurd realization I've heard to this point! How wrong is that...if it comes true? How can you win 11 to 4 in any sport and still lose the Championship trophy to the person/team who just won 4? Bernie...WTF!!! :irked:

And yes, moderators...I realize that profane outburst just likely got me banned from this site. It was worth it! This double points rubbish is too much. Cheerz!

See our F1 related articles too!