FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Lewis and Alonso always new the score. Which is why they always cited each other as their main competitor.
Watch from 3:40. These comments from Nando came at last years Brazilian GP. Rather prophetic given the recent general public reaction to Seb's "tough luck".

[youtube]2xg6xieQFdg[/youtube]

Seb's in a tough place, but, I really hope he doesn't react or get involved, but rather improves and steps up his driving and does his talking with on track results. Given his car isn't the best, what better way to silence critics than to a) beat his team-mate and b) win a race ..... n'es pas?

Agreed Spanky, as other WDCs have done time and time again. I wouldn't call Alonso prophetic though. Lots of us here have been saying the same thing for quite some time.

I wonder if mnmracer knows what the record for being told over the radio that your teammate is faster than you?
Certainly not the jewel of the season was it! I agree with LewEngBridewell, it was gonna be hard to follow the previous race.
Shame that the Nico was sluggish at the start because it allowed Hamilton to march away. Contrastingly, the start by Massa was both brilliant and dangerous in equal measure. But hats off it worked.
The current predicament McLaren find themselves in is baffling. I cannot believe the fall since Melbourne. I hope upgrades arrive thick and fast in Europe to get them back up there. It is sad that Red Bull are still a talking point because of team management. Vettels "tough luck" left a very sour taste in the mouth, but more so was Horner defending him. Its a team, and since team orders are there Seb, you've gotta play ball, even if you don't agree all the time of is its not in your favour. Seb isn't coping with this Red Bull package right now, and I think that he needs to both work on his driving and his attitude in equal measure. The toys coming out of the pram every race wont win him many fans.

So home to Europe now! Let the battles commence!
My brother's take on the race "the guy with the flag had one job!"
...Vettels "tough luck" left a very sour taste in the mouth, but more so was Horner defending him. Its a team, and since team orders are there Seb, you've gotta play ball, even if you don't agree all the time of is its not in your favour. Seb isn't coping with this Red Bull package right now, and I think that he needs to both work on his driving and his attitude in equal measure. The toys coming out of the pram every race wont win him many fans...

Agree with most of your comment, here, Richie!! Just wanted to add one more thing and NOT because I'm defending Vettel, so much as I'm trying to understand his attitude.

It's easy enough for us to say that he's acting like a spoilt brat, because that's exactly what we're seeing; but, his is a generation that doesn't appreciate that failure is part of success. They don't always understand that just because you won "today", continued success isn't guaranteed.

I do understand that the car isn't what he's used to and that he hasn't been able to adjust to the changes, as Roth (and others) have very clearly explained; but, I also see a young man who is frustrated that his "winning" streak is in jeopardy.

I do NOT feel sorry for him!! It's just nice to see that he is only human.
As a member of Vettel's generation, I can say it is not a generational thing.
The thing with Vettel is all this bad luck for Red Bull and attitude problems need to be rectified. Who knows what could happen next year, for all we know, Red Bull could be dominating the season again. Vettel probably expected to be champion every season I mean, every driver has the mind to say they will do as best as they can BUT he needs to understand that this is a different year and he is only doing as good as the Red Bull can. Maybe Ricciardo IS a better driver than Vettel. It's only Round 4 so we can't say anything yet for a long time but I have to say, I was bummed out by his attitude
When the power issues for Renault are corrected, what Red Bull will wind up with is a car that's competitive not dominant. The problem Vettel is experiencing isn't the lack of power, it's the lack of grip that was taken away. Newey's magic wand isn't as effective when aero itself isn't allowed to be exploited as it has for the last few years.

Dealing with a car with less grip takes an exponential amount of driver control. There's a lot of people giving Vettel the benefit of the doubt and overlooking what they see because, after all the guy is a four time WDC. I'm with Alonso however, and his point of view, if Vettel doesn't pull this season out, meaning a decisive victory over his team mate, race wins, multiple podiums... It will be telling.
Timely quote from Horner regarding Vettel's performance. I think the feeling he's looking for is called a blown diffuser.
"Sebastian is having a tough time at the moment because he hasn't got that feeling from the car that he is looking for," Horner said. "He's tremendously sensitive to certain aspects of the set-up and he's not getting the feedback from the car that he wants.
Timely quote from Horner regarding Vettel's performance. I think the feeling he's looking for is called a blown diffuser.
"Sebastian is having a tough time at the moment because he hasn't got that feeling from the car that he is looking for," Horner said. "He's tremendously sensitive to certain aspects of the set-up and he's not getting the feedback from the car that he wants.

:hehe::yes:

You may be the exception that proves the rule!! :wavey:
(( I like to think neither of mine are like that, either!!))
Thanks for the agreement sagi58!
I am from the same generation as Seb, so generationally I doubt its that, as I and just about all of the people I know aren't behaving like he does. That said, I'm English, and of the few German people I know, I can imagine one very much acting like Seb, so perhaps its more cultural than generational.
There was a time (when he drove the stunning race in the wet of Monza for Torro Rosso), that I could tell Seb would be good, and that he would be a WDC. He seemed mature, ready, able and confident and so it wasn't a surprise to see him take the RBR seat.
I kind of feel that them good qualities in Vettel are disappearing. He's coming across as immature, he is ready, but only to be dominant, not competitive, he's able, and the only think he seems confident in is hitting back at his team. Vettel may be frustrated, I'm sure we can all understand that, but there is a way to be professional, and a sportsman. And its his apparent lack of these qualities that are damaging his reputation IMO.

For all I've prattled on about though, I'm sure his problems are nothing that couldn't be fixed by a double diffuser as What's Burning! pointed out!!!

You may be the exception that proves the rule!! :wavey:
(( I like to think neither of mine are like that, either!!))

I'm part of Vettel's generation too...

See our F1 related articles too!