FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Michael Schumacher is reportedly still ''slowly waking up'' from his coma.

The 45-year-old Formula One star suffered a serious accident while skiing at the French resort of Meribel on December 29, 2013.

He's currently being treated at a medical suite in his Geneva home, according to UK newspaper The Telegraph.

And apparently Michael's 15-year-old son, Mick, has passed on a positive update to a family friend, French Formula One commentator Jean-Louis Moncet, who has spoken about Schumacher's condition to Europe 1 radio.

''I saw his son and he told me that Schumi is waking up very slowly; very slowly,'' Moncet said, according to the Daily Mail.

''Although things are going at a slow pace, he has a lot of time. I would say he has his whole life in front of him to get back on track.''

The commentator also spoke in detail about Schumacher's accident.

''The problem for Michael was not the hit, but the mounting of the Go-Pro camera that he had on his helmet that injured his brain,'' he explained.
A French doctor who treated Michael Schumacher following his skiing accident believes the F1 champion could recover from his injuries within three years.

The 45-year-old suffered serious head injuries after a fall on the slopes in Meribel, France, in December last year, when his helmet stuck a rock.

He spent six months in a medically-induced coma and was treated by Jean-Francois Payen, a doctor at the Grenoble hospital.

The seven times world champion was transferred to his Swiss home from the rehabilitation clinic in Lausanne two months ago and now receives round the clock care by a team of 15 experts in a purpose-built medical suite. It is understood he remains immobile and unable to speak.

Dr Payen who visited the former racing car driver at his home said he is no longer in a coma and is slowly recovering. The typical convalescence period was one to three years, he suggested.

"Life after a head injury is punctuated by stages," Payen told RTL radio. "We hope, but we have to give him time. It's like for other patients, we are on a timescale which goes from one year to three years and we need to be patient," he said.

Schumacher's 15-year-old son Mick earlier this month reported that his father was "waking up very slowly."

French F1 commentator Jean-Louis Moncet told Europe 1 radio station: "I saw his son and he told me that Schumi is waking up very slowly; very slowly. Although things are going at a slow pace, he has a lot of time, I would say he has his whole life in front of him to get back on track."

The racing driver's former Ferrari boss Jean Todt visited Schumacher last month. Commenting on his condition he said: "What's important is that he lives and that his family is with him. We really believe that things will get better. He needs time and to be left alone.

"In the past weeks and months, he has made progress in relation to the severity of his injury. But a long and hard road is in front of him. Hopefully things will improve. His family is close to him. He needs time and peace."

His father Rolf is moving from his home in Germany into a specially constructed residence built for him in the grounds of the £35million Schumacher mansion at Gland, on the shores of Lake Geneva.
I'm glad that there's a bit of better news regarding Schumacher, I hope these improvements continue to come.
The word everybody keeps emphasising is "patience", which will be hard for some people to adhere to, including myself. I hope the media are level-headed enough to not interupt their privacy.

May his recovery continue.
That does sound promising. Doesn't matter how long the road is, so long as Michael is on it and progressing along it. Best bit of news yet .
This looks eerily legit, not very hopeful after such a long time and little news of recovery, but this is worse than expected.

ABC News AU Former F1 driver Philippe Streiff, who is himself wheelchair-bound since a 1989 crash in Brazil during preseason tests left him a quadriplegic, told French radio Schumacher is unable to speak and suffering memory problems.

Streiff, who is a good friend of Schumacher's, said: "He is getting better but everything is relative. It's very difficult. He can't speak.

"Like me, he is in a wheelchair, paralysed. He has memory problems and speech problems."
I take it as a positive. He doesn't have a severed spinal cord, and if part of his brain Is damaged, well the brain is incredible , other parts can be trained to take on new roles. If he is speaking albeit imperfectly and only has 'some ' memory loss I take that as great progress. A long road ahead but he's on that road.
In my humble layman opinion.
I read pretty much the same thing today, it was in The Sun so it must be true.

I do hope your positivity is justified RC but I don't really share it to be honest.

See our F1 related articles too!