FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By nubenow
Just wondering what teams are going to be paying for the new 2014 turbo engines?

I did read where someone from Mercedes said that the V6's are likely to be around 40% more costly than the current V8's, so what do todays engines cost then? Was that a comment from Mercedes to get teams ready for bigger bills?

Aside of Mercedes doing an engine, who else is there.....Ferrari...... clearly, Renault.....probably, Pure.......seems so, Cosworth......why bother!
Well, it looks as if the engine development races will be started up again, so i'm expecting engine budgets to skyrocket again... maybe that is what they are referring to.
Isn't F1 trying to cut costs by going to the turbos?
Isn't F1 trying to cut costs by going to the turbos?

Supposedly, or at least that's what was said.

Aside of it's different, I don't really see whay they are changing? If the current engines are sorted now, reliable and must have returned the original investment you would have thought, it seems to go against cutting the costs in F1 you would have thought.....:) As it's not only the engines that will change, but most likely all the relavent ancillaries on the car.
It's not just about cost in this case, it's no cheaper to build a V6 turbo than it is a V8 and it will cost more initially, the headline here is "F1 becoming more ecologically friendly"
It's not just about cost in this case, it's no cheaper to build a V6 turbo than it is a V8 and it will cost more initially, the headline here is "F1 becoming more ecologically friendly"

I also read in one article, don't remember where though.....that a Jumbo jet puts more CO2 into the atmosphere in a flight from London to Tokyo, than the whole grid of F1 cars for the season. Not sure if this is correct, but the ecology issue has been bled to death by so many people's and special interest group's political agenda's....AKA...*self interest*....:)
Just wondering what teams are going to be paying for the new 2014 turbo engines?

I did read where someone from Mercedes said that the V6's are likely to be around 40% more costly than the current V8's, so what do todays engines cost then? Was that a comment from Mercedes to get teams ready for bigger bills?

Aside of Mercedes doing an engine, who else is there.....Ferrari...... clearly, Renault.....probably, Pure.......seems so, Cosworth......why bother!

Still a slight hope for VW or Porsche to come in? :pray:

Still a slight hope for VW or Porsche to come in? :pray:

While they're involved in LMP1 i can't see it. Same for Toyota. Maybe Honda and even better BMW might return one day though...

I also read in one article, don't remember where though.....that a Jumbo jet puts more CO2 into the atmosphere in a flight from London to Tokyo, than the whole grid of F1 cars for the season. Not sure if this is correct, but the ecology issue has been bled to death by so many people's and special interest group's political agenda's....AKA...*self interest*....:)

I agree it's a political issue; but being GREEN is the cool thing to do; so therefore my fellow moderators and I are very cool ;):P

I agree it's a political issue; but being GREEN is the cool thing to do; so therefore my fellow moderators and I are very cool ;):P

More freedom should be given to the teams to develop fuel saving and energy recovery technology that could filter down to road cars, I couldn't care less how much fuel is actually used in motorsport as it's a drop in the ocean compared to comercial transport and energy but the savings worldwide could be significant. That is why I'd like to see a fuel limit per race with complete freedom on the engine perhaps with some benefit or incentive to anyone who contributes to road going tech. To me that would be green.
I say we just go solar powered. Would make wet races pretty interesting.

With pedal power backup... make the drivers really earn their millions... :twisted:

Expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which F1 seems to love!

No seriously though, Hydrogen power is the way forward.

Which F1 seems to love!

Currently most is made from fossil fuels and when burnt in combustion engines produces other pollutants, to be clean it will have to be made using renewables and run in hydrogen fuel cell electric cars, expensive!!!!!

Which F1 seems to love!

Currently most is made from fossil fuels and when burnt in combustion engines produces other pollutants, to be clean it will have to be made using renewables and run in hydrogen fuel cell electric cars, expensive!!!!!

Haha! Hydrogen appeals more to me rather than solar power though.

Solar seems so last decade, ya know? Solar panels? Nah! It's all about extracting hydrogen and having only water coming out of the tail pipes. How will they blow the diffusers then? At least the rear of the cars will stay clean! :hehe:

See our F1 related articles too!