FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
So Techies... I struggled to think of a good title for this but thought that the one I put would intrigue some people (especially DD who's more than likely thinking dirty hehe)

I was doing some code last night and knocked over my lemonade and orange drink straight onto/into my keyboard which would have undoubtedly became sticky and nasty if I had left it so I unplugged my keyboard and because it's a G15 with a LCD display I thought I might as well take it apart so that I didn't need to put it in the airing cupboard for 48 hours or so (not ideal considering I use my computer a LOT and my macro keys are important! lol)

I unscrewed it all, took the LCD and all electronics out and then put the keyboard through the dishwasher. Any other keyboard I would normally just put it in the dishwasher and then put it in the airing cupboard for a few days to let it fully dry out.

I got the bits out of the dishwasher, put it all together, put all the keys back in and am now using a lovely fresh keyboard (smells of lemon!!!), but yeah normally I would wash my keyboard(s) like this every 6 months or so. I went round a friends a few weeks ago and saw her keyboard and was so grossed out that I got a spare keyboard from my place gave it to her for a week, washed her keyboard and gave her back her one but it was crystal clean :P
Maybe you could start a business doing that. Do I think it is weird? yes. Is it wrong? Not if it makes you happy.

How did you 1st decide that the dish washer was the way to go?

Sent using NCC-1701

Eww no way, people masturbate at their computers... what if they... ew just no. The way I decided to use dishwashers is by a bit of logic and common sense.

Dishwashers clean stuff so why can't they clean keyboards after all on most keyboards it's usually grease, bits of food, crumbs, split drinks... etc. The only thing you have to think about is electronics, plastic melting points and making sure everything is dry

I'll address those worries right away...
  • Electronics can be removed fairly easily it's usually just a bunch of screws holding things in place and it's not exactly difficult to disconnect or connect cables or ribbons, the main thing you have to be cautious of is making sure that the electronics are dry so that it doesn't short the keyboard anywhere; the same goes for buttons that don't work this can be caused by water residing within the plastic sheets where the circuitry runs through.

• There are a few different plastics used on/in keyboards.
    - The main plastic which is an ABS plastic which is the main body and key material of the keyboard, it's very very strong, it can easily take temperatures of upto 80*C and even go as far as 100*C before losing integrity, your average dishwasher will usually heatup to 50-65*C where as industrial ones they use in schools and restaurants will be 55-75*C.
    - The second plastic is the soft plastic what is used to make the electrical connection for each button to function, it's not that strong compared to the main body of the keyboards but even if exposed to 50-65*C it would be able to cope and with the added heat barrier of the keyboards body it wouldn't get too hot, this part of the keyboard is easily removed by simply opening up the keyboard and picking it out.
    - The third plastic is a series of plastic sheets that have a circuit running through them, this is actually fairly strong but the most important part of the keyboard when it comes to heat damage (shrinkage) or water preventing keys from functioning.

• Everything should be dried thoroughly before use, so putting it in a warm airing cupboard is 100% necessary and should be left atleast 48+ hours to make sure there is no water inside the plastic sheeting or inside the cables

So basically it's safe to clean them using a dishwasher, just stick it on the coolest setting if you're worried and it'll come out pretty damn clean.
I don't think you're weird RyRy, brave and clever but not weird.
Why not Ryrycled Keyboards Inc.

Ryry, when I get my new PC/wireless keyboard I'll keep you in mind. You don't do laptops do you. And if you do, I'd like a waterproof (pun intended) warranty.
You are a freak. But I like you. ;)

Ahaha, a freak on noes! :P

Nothing to be brave about when you're confident in your knowledge/thoughts :D

Eww no way, people masturbate at their computers... what if they... ew just no. The way I decided to use dishwashers is by a bit of logic and common sense.

but you could call yourself Ry Cycled Keyboards

I love it but still it's gross, all that nastyness inside keyboards. Definitely not for me.

Why not Ryrycled Keyboards Inc.

Ryry, when I get my new PC/wireless keyboard I'll keep you in mind. You don't do laptops do you. And if you do, I'd like a waterproof (pun intended) warranty.

Laptops are a pain in the bottom but I do my laptops keyboard too haha :P You just reminded me to buy a waterproof pouch for my phone that I need in 8 weeks or so.

Is that because you do a lot of one handed typing?

Jabs!

+1 :yes:

I enjoyed reading that opening post! :)

You two, get out of here! :blush::blush::blush::blush:
Is that because you do a lot of one handed typing?

Sent using NCC-1701

I never type one handed. It's either both hands or none. I'm hygenic that way. :blush:
What is a drying cupboard? I have taken many keyboards apart for cleaning, and everyone has thought of using a dishwasher, but once I have it apart it's not a big deal to have it all happening in the kitchen sink with suds and a cloth, all the buttons done individually. yeah I could throw the buttons and case in the dishwasher but that takes longer. I cannot put it in the dishwasher the way you say if I don't have a drying cupboard. I don't even know what that is.

See our F1 related articles too!