FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
Very interesting posts. No need for me to comment beyond exactly what they state.

For me, I'm appalled at the treatment of those people so viciously exploited in the mining of rare earths and the wretched conditions they are forced to bring their families up in.

[youtube]O9YL04v-J5U[/youtube]
So you are appaled by the treatment of just this group? What about the Falun gong, who are apparently harvested for organs while they are still alive in Official hospitals and the organs sold for cash

But only these workers disturb you enough to condemn electric cars and declare bio fuel ICE are the future?

And I bet you were supporting Stalins 'exciting' workers revolution as well weren't you :thumbup:
No, only this group deserves sympathy since they contributed in changing the global perspective on how cars should run in the future --> F1 following suit --> Ferrari now being lame ducks.

The motive is easy to follow.
So you are appaled by the treatment of just this group? What about the Falun gong, who are apparently harvested for organs while they are still alive in Official hospitals and the organs sold for cash

But only these workers disturb you enough to condemn electric cars and declare bio fuel ICE are the future?

And I bet you were supporting Stalins 'exciting' workers revolution as well weren't you :thumbup:

No, sadly there are quite a lot of appalling things in the world. I don't feel compelled to list them all when I talk about any one particular one.

But, you are in fact quite right and, what's very sad, is when some people heartlessly dismiss their plight. It's true you can't help them all, but everyone can care and can help some.
So you are doing your bit for humanity by misleading the members you are meant to be moderating into believing electric cars are a scam and that ICE can run on bio fuels instead?

maybe its time to stop digging and accept a helping hand out of the hole you dug :thumbup:
So you are doing your bit for humanity by misleading the members you are meant to be moderating into believing electric cars are a scam and that ICE can run on bio fuels instead?

maybe its time to stop digging and accept a helping hand out of the hole you dug :thumbup:

ICE's could be run on biofuels. And biofuels can be carbon neutral (in fact they could be carbon negative).

ICE's could be run on biofuels. And biofuels can be carbon neutral.

Could be - if we converted all landuse to bio fuels or if we can make a breakthrough in so far unattainable large scale algae production

whereas we have electric cars now with zero emissions which can be charged up by solar energy

So dont say electric is a scam and nothing to do with the environment and that its all a scam because ICE run on bio fuel/oil product mix are a better option

Thats frankly idiotic and is only even any kind of seriously considered option because of the money spent by the Oil companies to try and bully governemts into putting profits above the environment

So it seems you are intent on continuing with this position even after offered a way of exiting?

Thats fine, but dont complain when in future your example is used to illustrate this type of position or your claims are referred to when discussing other things
Thats frankly idiotic...

Let's try and do this without the insults and cheap shots eh, if not, I'm not interested.

ICE's could be run on biofuels. And biofuels can be carbon neutral.

Could be - if we converted all landuse to bio fuels or if we can make a breakthrough in so far unattainable large scale algae production

You're simply wrong here. LIHD mixtures do not compete for arable farmlands. In fact, as has been pointed out previously, some can be grown on water, even salt water. What's more, this can be carbon negative.

whereas we have electric cars now with zero emissions which can be charged up by solar energy

Only a very small amount of electrical energy is generated from solar energy. Having said that, also as I've said before, I see a mixed future energy supply for the world. The point here being, each solution will take some time to develop.

So it seems you are intent on continuing with this position even after offered a way of exiting?

I'm up for it, but, as I mentioned in my opening comment here, it will only be if we can simply discussion the points rationally and without the abuse.
okey dokey

Q1) Do you stand by this statement that the F1 Hybrid has nothing to do with the manufacturers research and interest into electric as an alternative to fossil fuels?
The move to this new F1-hybrid has nothing to do with being green or saving the planet or even about the renewable food for ICE's - its all about suiting some of the production car industry and making F1 suit their business model.

Q2) Do you stand by this statement that instead of electric ICEs can be kept as their fuel is also reneawble?
Fuel for ICE's is a renewable resource which can be created anywhere by recycling refuse.

Q3) Do you stand by this statement that we are transferring from a plentiful and renewable fuel source AVAILABLE NOW for mass transportation?
In moving to hybrid we are transferring from a plentiful and renewable fuel source (food for the ICE)

Q4) - Do you stand by this statement bio fuels is preferred to electric by consumers?
You stick with those massively successful southward heading electric car sales - even with all the govt subsidies people don't want to buy them. At the same time, the biofuel blend pumps just keep popping up everywhere and sales keep going up.

Q5) Do you stand by this statement that ALL oil derivative diesel could be replaced TODAY with a biofuel that only has an impact of half a percent of current farm land?
The amount of land needed to replace all the diesel fuel used in the US today with an algae derivative would be half of one percent of the current farm land used

I look forward to your conclusion of this debate out here in this thread in the public part of the forum, simple yes/nos will do :thumbup:
Thanks for the confirmation that you continue to agree with all your statements as quoted above :thumbup:

The only thing I am unclear about as I couldnt find any info is

Q5) Do you stand by this statement that ALL oil derivative diesel could be replaced TODAY with a biofuel that only has an impact of half a percent of current farm land?
wrote:
The amount of land needed to replace all the diesel fuel used in the US today with an algae derivative would be half of one percent of the current farm land used

If we could replace ALL carbon emitting fossil fuel diesel with a bio fuel with no impact of farm land TODAY - why has it not been implemented? what would be the emissions reduction and, oh yeah, do you mind providing proof please??
Thanks for the confirmation that you continue to agree with all your statements as quoted above :thumbup:

wrote:

If we could replace ALL carbon emitting fossil fuel diesel with a bio fuel with no impact of farm land TODAY - why has it not been implemented? what would be the emissions reduction and, oh yeah, do you mind providing proof please??

I'm happy to provide some facts that have lead me to agree with those opinions. Firstly, you need to stop thinking of zero carbon emission engines - step outside of that box. Think about carbon as a fluid element that exists in many states. The atmosphere, plants etc. Our current problem is that we have changed the mix/balance of where CO2 is. Too much in the atmosphere, not enough in plants.

Now you're outside that box this will make sense - current algae production creates 2.5 barrels of oil per hectare per day. (Dr Bob Holmes - Newscientist issue 2894) That rate would replace the total world consumption of crude oil (~90Mil barrels per day) in an area a quarter the size of the Libyan dessert. Of course we could need/use less land because we don't need to do this all on land - there is a US company proposing using floating ocean based pens for the algae farming.

Now lets consider the impact of the use of each barrel of this fuel in conventional internal combustion engines. For each 2 tonnes of CO2 extracted by the algae in the production of the biofuel, it takes 700Kg to produce the biofuel (energy consumed in the manufacturing process) and, burning that biofuel will release another 450Kg. The remaining 850Kg stays in the residual of the process which can then be used in the construction of concrete of other permanent locking uses. Meaning, for each litre of this biofuel used, you are decreasing the amount of C02 in the atmosphere. Pretty neat hey. This is of course why corn is a silly comparison. Corn was used because it was convenient - as in plentiful and is a well sold commodity, its used for food, cosmetics, glues, toothpaste and lots of other things. Problem is, the numbers don't stack up well for corn and it causes competition for arable land needed for food production.

If the US company can get the floating farms working then that 700Kg should come down. This would be due to the natural wave motion of the ocean stirring the algae which currently takes energy (a part of that 700Kg). This would quicken the reversal of some of the damage we have done.

A little more info is available in this article from sciencemag.org which, although published in 2006 and a little early for algae data, it still shows the benefits of switchgrass which, as demonstrated in the quote is also carbon negative and does not compete for arable lands.

Carbon-Negative Biofuels from Low-Input High-Diversity Grassland Biomass

Biofuels derived from low-input high-diversity (LIHD) mixtures of native grassland perennials can provide more usable energy, greater greenhouse gas reductions, and less agrichemical pollution per hectare than can corn grain ethanol or soybean biodiesel. High-diversity grasslands had increasingly higher bioenergy yields that were 238% greater than monoculture yields after a decade. LIHD biofuels are carbon negative because net ecosystem carbon dioxide sequestration (4.4 megagram hectare−1 year−1 of carbon dioxide in soil and roots) exceeds fossil carbon dioxide release during biofuel production (0.32 megagram hectare−1 year−1). Moreover, LIHD biofuels can be produced on agriculturally degraded lands and thus need to neither displace food production nor cause loss of biodiversity via habitat destruction
With reference to question 4

Electric car sales aren't big yet, but the potential for the future is very big. Affordability, practicality and performance of the electric car is improving incredibly quickly. I wouldn't have considered an electric car a few years ago but I would consider buying one in a year or two.

biofuels are popping up everywhere. Yes they are. Because governments have to meet green quotas. And all that's a bit of a con too because bio fuels aren't green....

But now it turns out that even next-generation biofuels may be worse for the climate than the fossil fuel-based sources they’re meant to replace. A new federally-funded study published in Nature Climate Change has found that biofuels made from corn waste release 7% more greenhouse gases over the short term than gasoline

http://time.com/70110/biofuels-advanced ... nt-energy/
There are plenty more damning reports like this one if you look.

Ethanol added to petrol ( 5-10%) depending on the country is the way most countries meet their green quotas. But ethanol is not compatible with all cars. In the UK 90% of cars are compatible. In France the ethanol mix is worse for cars and advice from the AA is to be very careful before putting it in your car. Ethanol causes the following problems to vehicles.

Corrosion - in long term storage, fuel containing ethanol can become acidic and cause corrosion of aluminium, zinc and galvanised materials, brass, copper and lead/tin coated steels.

Material compatibility - Ethanol's high solvency can cause problems with many seal and gasket materials used in fuel systems as well as with fibre glass resins. Besides a risk of fuel leaks, rubber components and resins can become partially dissolved, producing deposits that could foul carburettor jets. Replacement components made with ethanol-compatible materials are available.

Combustion - Ethanol's higher volatility can contribute to 'vapour lock' issues in older vehicles when operating temperatures are higher. Ethanol can also affect cold start performance.

wrote:

I'm happy to provide some facts that have lead me to agree with those opinions. Firstly, you need to stop thinking of zero carbon emission engines - step outside of that box. Think about carbon as a fluid element that exists in many states. The atmosphere, plants etc. Our current problem is that we have changed the mix/balance of where CO2 is. Too much in the atmosphere, not enough in plants.

Now you're outside that box this will make sense - current algae production creates 2.5 barrels of oil per hectare per day. (Dr Bob Holmes - Newscientist issue 2894) That rate would replace the total world consumption of crude oil (~90Mil barrels per day) in an area a quarter the size of the Libyan dessert. Of course we could need/use less land because we don't need to do this all on land - there is a US company proposing using floating ocean based pens for the algae farming.

Now lets consider the impact of the use of each barrel of this fuel in conventional internal combustion engines. For each 2 tonnes of CO2 extracted by the algae in the production of the biofuel, it takes 700Kg to produce the biofuel (energy consumed in the manufacturing process) and, burning that biofuel will release another 450Kg. The remaining 850Kg stays in the residual of the process which can then be used in the construction of concrete of other permanent locking uses. Meaning, for each litre of this biofuel used, you are decreasing the amount of C02 in the atmosphere. Pretty neat hey. This is of course why corn is a silly comparison. Corn was used because it was convenient - as in plentiful and is a well sold commodity, its used for food, cosmetics, glues, toothpaste and lots of other things. Problem is, the numbers don't stack up well for corn and it causes competition for arable land needed for food production.

If the US company can get the floating farms working then that 700Kg should come down. This would be due to the natural wave motion of the ocean stirring the algae which currently takes energy (a part of that 700Kg). This would quicken the reversal of some of the damage we have done.

A little more info is available in this article from sciencemag.org which, although published in 2006 and a little early for algae data, it still shows the benefits of switchgrass which, as demonstrated in the quote is also carbon negative and does not compete for arable lands.

Carbon-Negative Biofuels from Low-Input High-Diversity Grassland Biomass

Biofuels derived from low-input high-diversity (LIHD) mixtures of native grassland perennials can provide more usable energy, greater greenhouse gas reductions, and less agrichemical pollution per hectare than can corn grain ethanol or soybean biodiesel. High-diversity grasslands had increasingly higher bioenergy yields that were 238% greater than monoculture yields after a decade. LIHD biofuels are carbon negative because net ecosystem carbon dioxide sequestration (4.4 megagram hectare−1 year−1 of carbon dioxide in soil and roots) exceeds fossil carbon dioxide release during biofuel production (0.32 megagram hectare−1 year−1). Moreover, LIHD biofuels can be produced on agriculturally degraded lands and thus need to neither displace food production nor cause loss of biodiversity via habitat destruction

First aof all, why would we want to 'think outside the box' of zero emissions for ALL transport?? Your pretty explanation of carbon balancing and accountng is only as good as how much more ultimate Carbon we can release according to the well documented Carbon credit. i.e we are adding at the moment at an unsustanable rate. Your argument only looks at maintaining a balance or a level. Zero emissions will allow mas transport with no need to pay for it elsewhere

Second you still have not pointed to any proof that enough algae is produced today - you keep saying it COULD be and that it would only take up the land mass of a small country - and use scientific claims from years ago before all the current spending and experiments have come up with NOTHING - 'LIHD biofuels can be ' blahblah produced on blahblah is not good enough - tyou seem to have missed the point that these CANS are all on the back of discovering a way of scaling up the digestive algae concept

watch this - you said current algae production creates 2.5 barrels of oil per hectare per day. (Dr Bob Holmes - Newscientist issue 2894) That rate would replace the total world consumption of crude oil (~90Mil barrels per day) in an area a quarter the size of the Libyan dessert.

that RATE were it to be SCALED UP - i.e theretically - but guess what NOONE has found a way to scale it up beyond 2.5 bqrrels of oil per hectare per day - maybe at present the TOTAL production in the WHOLE world is one couple hundred hectares

OK thirdly - EVEN algae only gives us a REDUCTION on emissions and not zero emissions, remeber we need to start CUTTING the carbon, not continueing to add and then balancing it elsewhere - its too late for that - we cannot afford to even breath out hardly - ofcourse we have to - but that is what we need to BALANCE not non survival things ike MASS TRANSPORT _ ONLY THE OIL industry think 'outside this box' - and apart from the reduced Carbon biofuels emit ETHANOL and OTHER DANGEROUS stuff which will also build up and cause problems LATER FOR HUMANITY

Finally lets compare WHAT WE HAVE NOW - RIGHT NOW not THEORETICALLY - RIGHT NOW to solve the emissions - rember we want ZERO emissions so we can actually even think about overall reduction by cutting ALL CO2 emissions to those found in the natural eco cycle

This is where we are RIGHT NOW - what we can use for transport and its cost in land

Rooftop reflector PV electric 2,692,008 miles/year/acre 1/200 acres/car - solar 2.6 million miles of ZERO EMISSION ENERGY per acre

Algenol, Joule algae ethanol 234,000 1/17 - Algae - 234k miles per hectare of REDUCED BUT STILL EMITTING CARBON (vs 2.6 million miles per hectare ZERO EMISSION solar energy?)

Corn ethanol fuel 10,200 1.32 - existing proven biofuels as used to mix with diesel - 10k miles per hectare of REDUCED BUT STILL EMITTING CARBON vs (vs 2.6 million miles per hectare ZERO EMISSION solar energy?)

Soy diesel fuel 2,679 5 - I wont even bother with this 2.6k miles per hectare lol - but they are using it right now

Its the biggest scam and lie ever told - trying to grow plants for energy instead of food with the problems we already facing in the world AND then trying to balance the reduced but still there emissions from bio fuels - when SOLAR IS ZERO EVEN with coal fired power stations charging the battery instead of solar (or nuclear till solar is rolled out everywhere) electric cars are still 100 x better than biofuel ICES over the life of a car when it comes to emitting harmful stuff - but the OIL companies dont want it and wont let the governmenst do it - why would we have corn and soy biodeisel even produced today????

TODAY and in a few years - ONCE we have produced the batteries and the power stations etc - WE WOULD HAVE ZERO emissions using TODAYS technology

The OIL COMPANIES want us to have PARTIAL emissions which they promise will balance elsewhere AND WILL NOT AFFECT FARMLAND WITH TOMORROWS TECHNOLOGY

WAKE UP PEOPLE - CHECK IT OUT YOURSELVES - USE THE INTERWEBZ - DONT LISTEN TO THE OIL COMPANIES AND THEIR USELESS IDIOTS

(and if you cant do that at least let others do it without you complaining about a heated debate or bickering - add something true/useful/factual or STFU)
Last edited by CookinFlat6 on 25 Oct 14, 17:30, edited 3 times in total.

See our F1 related articles too!