FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
By EwanM
Hey, just a survey really to find out if people would want to see F1 broadcast in High Def this season?
My folks are investing on upgrading their Satellite package to an HD Package. Now having the BBC HD Channel I thought Id be in for F1 in High Definition whenever I was at home. Sadly it appears to not be the case. The matter is out of the BBC's hands as F1's universal coverage is only broadcast in Standard Def. According to the BEEB, only once the other Tv company, agree will an F1 HD service become available.

So what do you people think?
I've just got Freeview and have no plans to upgrade.
Well certainly the Standard Def will always be available. However it would be easy to run a HD Feed aswell. F1 in High Def would be amazing!
I've just got Freeview and have no plans to upgrade.

Did you get Freesat? That gives you all the HD channels (BBC HD, ITV HD) as part of the standard package. At least, that's what they say.
Yep I'd love F1 in HD. The difference in quality is amazing! It's unbelievable to think that the worlds most expensive sport isn't available in HD, they are missing a trick there I think.
HD channel to show F1 in Australia
17 February 2009 by Keith Collantine
Australians are to get a new dedicated sports channel that could show Formula 1 in HD.

ONE, a new channel launched by Network Ten, promises “live and extended coverage of the Formula 1 ING Australian Grand Prix over the launch weekend with more than 22 hours of action across Friday, Saturday and Sunday.” Few other Grands Prix broadcast at anything like normal hours for Australian fans.

The channel will broadcast both in high definition and standard definition, but has not annuounced that F1 will be broadcast in HD.

Earlier this year director of BBC Sport Roger Mosey confirmed the BBC would not be screening F1 in HD. He said: “F1 won’t be available in HD though we’d very much like it to be.” As BBC has HD broadcasting capabilities, this seems to suggest the obstacle to F1 appearing in HD is FOM.

Australia’s readiness to broadcast F1 in HD could be good news for F1 fans in other countries, as it gives Bernie Ecclestone a greater incentive to offer high definition footage.

Rival motor racing series such as NASCAR and A1 Grand Prix are already broadcast in HD, NASCAR having adopted the technology in 2005.

Are you an F1 fan in Australia? What does this new channel mean for you?

Thanks to Terry Fabulous for the tip
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/02/17/h ... australia/

With Speed, Network Ten, Fuji Tv and the BEEB all with the compatibility to broadcast F1 in HD why hasn't Bernie caught onto this?
HD channel to show F1 in Australia
17 February 2009 by Keith Collantine
Australians are to get a new dedicated sports channel that could show Formula 1 in HD.

ONE, a new channel launched by Network Ten, promises “live and extended coverage of the Formula 1 ING Australian Grand Prix over the launch weekend with more than 22 hours of action across Friday, Saturday and Sunday.” Few other Grands Prix broadcast at anything like normal hours for Australian fans.

The channel will broadcast both in high definition and standard definition, but has not annuounced that F1 will be broadcast in HD.

Earlier this year director of BBC Sport Roger Mosey confirmed the BBC would not be screening F1 in HD. He said: “F1 won’t be available in HD though we’d very much like it to be.” As BBC has HD broadcasting capabilities, this seems to suggest the obstacle to F1 appearing in HD is FOM.

Australia’s readiness to broadcast F1 in HD could be good news for F1 fans in other countries, as it gives Bernie Ecclestone a greater incentive to offer high definition footage.

Rival motor racing series such as NASCAR and A1 Grand Prix are already broadcast in HD, NASCAR having adopted the technology in 2005.

Are you an F1 fan in Australia? What does this new channel mean for you?

Thanks to Terry Fabulous for the tip
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/02/17/h ... australia/

With Speed, Network Ten, Fuji Tv and the BEEB all with the compatibility to broadcast F1 in HD why hasn't Bernie caught onto this?

$$$
Is the footage shot in HD, do we know? It damn well should be. The feed being Standard Def is bad enough, if the raw video is SD I'll weep.
Is the footage shot in HD, do we know? It damn well should be. The feed being Standard Def is bad enough, if the raw video is SD I'll weep.

The raw vid is in SD, which is a joke.
there's not really enough takeup of HiDef yet for the BBC or FOM etc.. to look into the extra cost of shooting and broadcasting in HiDef.

you can go to AMC cinimas in the UK tho and watch it live on massive scren.
By EwanM
Fab to see the exciting new ads from the BBC - better yet - to hear that music again - heaven!

Indeed the car chase is pretty awesome. Now long now :thumbup:

See our F1 related articles too!