FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By darwin dali
He's slaughtering the competition in Formula BMW. Next step will be GP2, me thinks maybe already next year. Who do you think will snatch up the 16-year old down the road? BMW? Red Bull? Williams? Ferrari?! Weber??
By EwanM
He's slaughtering the competition in Formula BMW. Next step will be GP2, me thinks maybe already next year. Who do you think will snatch up the 16-year old down the road? BMW? Red Bull? Williams? Ferrari?! Weber??

Watching him at silverstone, especially in the rain was special. And the kid has a lot of potential. After his race his mother was interviewed... she's almost in the Anthony Hamilton mould.
Mind you, dominance in one series doesn't always mean F1. Look at Jamie Green he beat Hamilton and co in the F3 euroseries and then ended up in the DTM. Now there were other factors behind that, but you get the general jist.
Good luck to him tho. Id agree 100% with you darwin. GP2 Next season surely?
By EwanM
Or maybe not.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72617

ART sign Gutierrez for Euro Series

By Steven English Monday, January 5th 2009, 10:41 GMT

Champion Formula 3 Euro Series team ART Grand Prix have confirmed Esteban Gutierrez as the first of their four drivers for the coming season.

The 17-year-old Mexican won the Formula BMW Europe title in 2008 and will step up to F3 with the team that has won the championship for the last five years.

Gutierrez tested for ART for the first time at Magny-Cours back in November and decided to commit to the French team after more outings before Christmas.

"I feel very happy to have come to an agreement with ART, to compete in this series," he said. "I will put all my effort and dedication to obtain the best possible results with a lot of enthusiasm."

ART boss Frederic Vasseur added: "Esteban had a very strong and successful season in Formula BMW last year and I am pleased to confirm him as ART F3 driver. He did a very good job during our winter test at Magny-Cours and the collaboration with our engineers was perfect.

"The gap between Formula BMW and F3 is important but I am sure that Esteban will be a hard worker, he will improve during the season and will be able to score some wins."

Gutierrez will begin his pre-season programme with ART when the testing ban is lifted for the first official test at Estoril in mid March.
By cap-dude
Art are deffinetly a team a driver can win with, so its up to Gutierrez to make his mark on F3.
Formula BMW is such a small catergory, its hard really to judge drivers that early. But deffinetly, theres promise, but if hes gonna make it to F1, he's gonna need to finish in the top 3 in 2009. But in saying that, Nakajima made to F1 (somehow) with un-impressive results. 7th in F3, 6th in GP2. Which just goes to show, money goes a long way in motorsport unfortunatly.
By Jabberwocky
isnt there something in the contract for driving for fBMW that says BMW has first dibs?
By Rivelution
Anyone else notice Alex Rossi from the Formula BMW America's series? He wrapped up the championship before the last race of the season, which was the first in Formula BMW history.

See our F1 related articles too!