FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By Bladesman
Justin Wilson: British IndyCar driver in a coma following crash
British IndyCar driver Justin Wilson is in a coma after suffering a head injury during a race in Pennsylvania on Sunday.

The ex-Formula 1 driver, who drives for Andretti Autosport, appeared to be hit by debris after a car crashed in front of him and he then hit a wall.

The 37-year-old was airlifted to hospital from the Pocono Raceway.

"Wilson is currently in a coma and in a critical condition," a statement published on indycar.com read.

"IndyCar sends its thoughts and prayers to Justin, his family, and Andretti Autosport during this difficult time."

Wilson's brother Stefan is also an IndyCar driver and drove for the same team in 2013

Wilson appeared to have been struck on the head by a piece of debris from American driver Sage Karam's car after it spun and crashed in front of him on lap 179 of the 200-lap race.

Karam, 20, was able to get out of his car and was treated for a foot injury.

Wilson, from Sheffield, competed for Minardi and Jaguar during the 2003 Formula 1 season.

He has driven in major US open-wheel racing since the 2004 season and was making his 174th IndyCar start in Sunday's race.

Wilson has recorded seven wins in CART (Championship Auto Racing Teams) and IndyCar races, his most recent coming at Texas in 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motorsport/34037413

I never watch IndyCar much myself but I have seen the accident and I really hope the lad gets well soon.
Not another one, I hope he comes out of it alright. I was surprised to read there that he's 37.
Could this be the end to open cockpit racing?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

That crossed my mind too but it could be a bit of a knee jerk reaction, I don't know if it would've made any difference in Jules accident. If there's more incidents of lesser severity that aren't widely reported then there may be a case to make changes.
By gdh
It's really been a terrible couple of years for motorsport... R.I.P. Justin Wilson! :(

Paul Tracy and the other announcer were talking about that just after he was hit. The number of accidents over the last 30 or so laps was frightening. RIP Justin.
By sagi58
Sad to hear about yet another tragedy in racing!
Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

See our F1 related articles too!